At some time during the school year, your child will become ill. This happens to all children and this memo is to assist you in dealing with illness when your child is enrolled in our program.
For most mild illnesses, your child will be allowed to attend school. However, when there is fever, diarrhea or any of the symptoms outlined below, we ask that your child remain at home. The symptoms include:
- Fever over 100.0 either present or not gone for 24 hours.
- Diarrhea or vomiting, present or not gone for 24 hours. If your child is in day care and has two loose bowel movements/diarrhea you will be informed. If he/she has a third, you will be asked to pick up your child.
- Severe coughing or breathing trouble.
- Conjunctivitis (pinkeye). Your child must be on medication FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE RETURNING TO SCHOOL. If he/she contracts conjunctivitis while at school, you will be called immediately and asked to pick up your child.
- Unusual spots or rashes.
- Infections on the skin.
- Headache or stiff neck.
- Sore throat or trouble swallowing.
- Loss of appetite.
- Unusual behavior.
- If your child is not “him/herself” and is very irritable, cranky and doesn’t seem well.
If your child develops any of these symptoms while at the school, we will call you and ask you to pick up your child as soon as possible.
As far as more contagious illnesses go please follow these guidelines:
- CHICKEN POX: all children must remain home until all of the pockmarks are scabbed over and dried.
- COXACKIE: all children must remain home until all blisters are gone.
- STREP THROAT, EAR INFECTIONS, FLU ETC.: a note from your child’s Doctor stating that your child is well and may return to school.
We strongly suggest that you consider plans for sick care now, before your child is actually ill. If you are unable to pick up your child if he/she gets sick at school, or if you are unable to stay home with your child if he/she is sick, please make alternative arrangements now.
It is also very important to inform the School when your child is ill. This helps us to plan for the health and safety of all of our children. If your child was sick the previous day or night, yet is well enough to attend, please make sure that your teachers are informed.
MEDICATION POLICY: We cannot dispense any medication. This is true for both over the counter and prescription medication.
Thank you for your cooperation !!!
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR CHILD IS SENT HOME WITH ANY ILLNESS, THE CHILD MUST BE SYMPTOM FREE FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE RETURNING TO SCHOOL. IF YOUR CHILD IS SENT HOME WITH SYMPTOMS AT NOON ONE DAY, HE/SHE WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RETURN THE NEXT DAY. SO PLEASE BE PREPARED TO HAVE TO STAY AT HOME OR MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR SOMEONE TO STAY AT HOME WIHT YOUR SICK CHILD.